Sunday 17 July 2011

Black Banana Cake

It's been awhile since I did any decent cooking or baking, what with the madness that has been the last few weeks. So to get back into it I thought I would do something fairly easy but very tasty. While wondering what to cook, I had a wander round my kitchen and found some rather ripe and squishy bananas which reminded me about Nigel Slater's black banana cake....



I have altered the recipe slightly, adjusting to what I had in my cupboard. The original recipe is here

Black Banana Cake
Ingredients
175g unsalted butter
140g golden caster sugar/35g muscavado sugar
75g ground almonds
2 eggs
175g self raising flour
2 very ripe bananas
drop of vanilla extract
100g dark chocolate/50g white chocolate (cut up into tiny chunks)
sprinkle of brown sugar

Method
Preheat the oven to 170C
Line the base and sides of a loaf tin (20cm/12cm)
Beat the sugars and butter together until light and fluffy
Slowly beat in the eggs to the butter mixture
Beat in the flour and almonds
Chop up the bananas into small pieces and mix gently into the mix along with the chocolate and vanilla extract. Do not over mix.
Spoon the batter into the loaf tin, dust with brown sugar and bake for 1 hour - 1 hour and 10 mins
Cover the cake with foil if the top starts to darken to quickly.
Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack

Serve and enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing like a tasty slice of banana cake! I love Nigel's recipe- and also his Fast Food Book, my current bedtime reading and a favourite of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep def one of my favourites, beautifully simple for any level of cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favourite cake

    ReplyDelete